Living in a blustering city is a blend of convenience, modern beauty, and chaos. The commutes are crowded with different personalities, the sidewalks are overflowing with energy, and the city lights seem to never dim.
It was hard to leave behind the forest preserves and home garden, trading it all in for a forest of iron and glass. The hecticness of the city was hard to adjust to, the constant need to keep moving was exhausting. Everyone was rushing to get places, moving quickly through the crowds of wanderers and newbies (like me).
When it came to adjusting to my surroundings I started the process by simply walking around, exploring the blocks around my apartment. I was easing my thirst for nature by discovering lake Michigan only two blocks away, a park near by, and the Lincoln Park Zoo in walking distance from my new home. I started to appreciate the tree-lined streets, the gardens from the brickstone homes around us, and the crows that perched on the buildings roof across the street.
When it comes to remaining grounded, connected to myself, and finding peace within the chaos these are the things I do to bring that balance.
- Yoga in the A.M – the best way to wake up the body is by moving the muscles and going inward with the meditation of movement.
- Bath in the P.M – soaking in a tub of warm water, essential oils, and bath salts is the perfect way to unwind and cut the energetic cords from your day.
- Cooking Dinner EVERY NIGHT -taking the time each night to honor the ingredients you put in your body is a great way to establish a sustainable relationship with your food. It also draws your focus in, centering into the moment.
- TV Unwind – releasing yourself from the cities presence is to loose yourself in a great show or film. Some of the shows I love right now: Taboo, The Mick, New Girl, Mindy Project, Sherlock (etc).
- Pet Time – spending time with your pet is a great way to relax, laugh, and simply be happy. Your pet teaches you to honor the small things.
The key to truly finding balance in the chaos of our environment is to never forget your true self, the passions that bring your joy. Always take the time each day to do what makes you happy, trust me… I’m a yogi in a city.