The next time you find yourself with free time, pick up a fiction book and enjoy the adventure.
- It strengthens creativity. According to this study, “Reading flex’s the imagination in a way that is similar to the visualization that an athlete would use to activate the motor cortex and muscle memory used in sports during a mental rehearsal.”
- The books we choose read shape our perspective and define who we are.
- Ex) I read only fiction books that have strong female leads with feminist undertones. I want to read about women to take control…having magic is always a bonus.
- It eases stress; releasing muscle tension, lowering the heart rate, and focusing on the breath. Reading fiction allows you to take a mental vacation.
- Reading fiction improves empathy. “Reading fiction was found to improve the reader’s ability to put themselves in another person’s shoes… the reader learns life lessons from how she or he personally experiences the journey of the protagonist and other characters in the story.”
- Improves memory. When reading fiction there are many sub plots to the overall story line, with many characters and places to keep track of. “Typically, when you read, you have more time to think. Reading gives you a unique pause button for comprehension and insight.”
Finding The Time:
- The commute: on the train, plane, bus.
- Before bedtime: lull yourself to sleep by reading, focusing on the words rather than the stress of your day.
- During meals: reading during your lunch break at work is perfect, it allows you to relax and renew your creativity.
- Rainy or snowy day: staying in? make a cup of tea, cuddle up with blankets and read.
List-Some of My Favorite Books: (I read 4-5 books a month)
- Throne of Glass Series
- Court of Thorns and Roses Series
- Why Not Me? (This is a Memoir)
- Reign of Shadows
- Defiance Series