Today was my first day at my internship. Never before have I had my own desk job, where I work on my computer and sit a lot. It was a big change for me. I enjoyed the projects and tasks I had, plus the company has a great team of friendly folk. The weirdest thing for me was sitting for six hours, my body wasnt used to it. It was almost this guilty feeling of not being active, to be honest I felt LAZY! During the my lunch break I went into the bathroom and did some light stretching, squats, and wall push ups. By taking the time to do that I felt better, my blood was pumping and my brain was waking up again. By realizing the stress of not feeling fit, I was able to focus on my work and power through my task.
It’s so easy for us to be hard on ourselves when we feel lazy at work, our bodies crave movement. A lot of the issues revolves around the mental aspect, the brain and heart my understand and find balance. In order to establish that balance you need to center yourself, take a deep breath and focus on energy on the moment. Be proud of yourself and all the hard work you do, find strength in your ability to work hard. When you honor the opportunity you have, you are able to find ways to enhance your experience.
Fit At Desk Tips:
- Get up every hour and walk around, do some squats, push ups, and stretches
- Pack healthy food Ex) fruit, nuts, fresh salad/soup
- Do leg lifts while sitting at your desk
- Create a motivational mantra for the day
- Stay hydrated
- Take a break read a book, browse your favorite blog, look out the window
- When you get some do some yoga
- Find time to mediate and honor your day